Monday, September 17, 2012

I Can Run?!?!

I started running about 5 months ago just to keep in shape and build some endurance for hunting. I have NEVER ran before in my life and never had any intention to run. In fact, in high school when we were suppose to run the mile, I found a way to get out of it. Yeah, I was THAT bad! Hate hate hated running!

So, I started on the treadmill and was quickly able to run a mile at a pretty fast pace. I was SO surprised! I would think to myself, "Where did this come from? Maybe I've just been a sissy my whole life and running isn't all that bad." I was right! A couple months after running about a mile and half 3 days a week on the treadmill, I got asked by Susan to go on a run up Ogden Parkway by Dinosaur Park. We got done and she said we had gone about 5 miles. WHOA!!! Are you for real? I was very surprised with myself! I think I found my new addiction. Thanks Susan.

About 3 weeks before Peach Days I decided to sign up for the 10K. 6.2 miles! I have only ran 5 miles ONCE. I did a bit of training (nothing I should have been doing) and September 8 came quickly. I was so nervous the day of the race. I ran 4 miles two days before and the 5 miler three months before. All the other times were only 2 or 3 miles.
I told myself that I would NOT walk the and I will do it in under 70 minutes.

I started the run and was moving pretty fast. I was nervous because I didn't want to burn all my energy so I slowed; so I thought. My GPS running app told me that my second mile was 8:44. I thought "Whoa, that is too fast for me! BUT, I feel great so I'll keep it up!" Mile 3 said: Lap time 8 minutes and 34 seconds. "You go girl!"
Mile 4: "Oh no, here come the hills. I have never done hills before."  "Wide Awake" by Katy Perry came on in my headphones. "Okay Katy, keep me going. Let's do this!"  I did those hills like a champ and set my fastest lap time of the race.

Running with other runners and having people in cars and on the side of the road hoot and holler and give high fives was SO fun!! FUN? Running? Yes, it was so fun!!!

Mile 5 was complete. "One more mile, let's make the fastest one yet!"  The last mile was a slight up hill and it was HARD! Holy moly I didn't think I could do it. I kept telling myself "Keep running, there is absolutely no point in walking now!"  So I did. I saw all the people at the finish line and I put in for a spring and came through the lights at 54:53. Yeah baby! Way better than my goal time and it was SO amazing!! I have never been so proud of myself because I never thought I would even a mile and I just did 6.2! I know I will only get better and maybe soon I'll do a half marathon.

My mom, step dad, and girls came to see me at the end and gave me flowers! Ahh cute! Thanks guys!


I was shocked when I got my race results. 7th place in my age group out of 23. Woo Woo!!

1 comment: